Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tin - Tin Foil Dinners and a Movie

My wife had been wanting to see Tin-Tin, and after a long, busy week at work I was too tired for much more than a movie (and too tired for even a movie it turns out).  I was in charge of dinner that night and quickly thought of tin foil dinners as a nice complement.

Tin foil dinners are often cooked in a campfire (or even under a car hood), but an oven works fine.  Here are some recipes, courtesy of The Art of Manliness.  I planned on doing some Mexican style chicken, with some leftover diced green chiles and pepper jack cheese.  But we were out of chicken breasts.  So I set out what we did have and let each person fill their own foil packet.  They are pretty simple, and you can't really go wrong with throwing some meat and veggies (potatoes would have been nice) on a piece of tin foil, wrapping it up, and cooking it in the oven.  Our boys probably made some of the most original tin foil dinners -- chicken nuggets and hot dogs anyone?  My wife and I made more traditional ones with hamburger, onions, and zuccini.  The hamburger was already cooked, actually, so we didn't have to worry about undercooking them.  So we threw them in the oven until everything was hot and steamy and then ate.  I think they turned out pretty well.



After we put the boys to bed, we settled down to watch Tin-Tin.  The title character was a little older than I expected, and there was enough action and danger that it would have been too intense for our 5 year old.  It might have been interesting enough to me, but I was so tired from the long week I kept dozing off.  We only made it through an hour before deciding we should just go to bed and finish the rest the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment